Coronavirus disease 2019 (also called COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. Some simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 include:
- Stay at home (especially if you are sick)
- Avoid unnecessary travel
- Wash your hands frequently
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Watch for symptoms of COVID-19:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Loss of taste or smell
- If You Most Go Out
- Wear a face covering over your mouth and nose in public spaces
- Maintain a 6-foot distance (2 arm's length) from those NOT living in your house
- Avoid gathering
- Protect vulnerable populations by finding ways to connect without face-to-face contact
About the Virus
Coronaviruses are a type of virus. There are many different kinds, and some cause disease. A newly identified coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, has caused a worldwide pandemic of respiratory illness, called COVID-19.
There is no coronavirus vaccine yet. Prevention involves frequent hand-washing, coughing into the bend of your elbow, staying home when you are sick and wearing a cloth face covering if you can't practice physical distancing.